Friday, August 15, 2008

A reach too far
























Have you had the experience that no matter how hard you tried, the one thing that you really had a desire for was just beyond your reach? You improved everything around and about you just so you could be able to grasp it...that brass ring...but always fell short.Sometimes, God has just made you and your arms just long enough for those things that you can obtain...the low-hanging fruit...which will certainly strengthen and sustain you in a consistent way. The higher fruit may appear to be sweeter and more delicious but the agony of not being able to get it before it over-ripens and dies can be so frustrating.
Yet, what is it about THAT particular goal (fruit) that makes it so desirable...that sine qua non you simply MUST have? Is it because it IS just out of reach that heightens its allure? Or, is it because you've tasted fruit that LOOKED like that before so it MUST be the same?

When my friends come to me with issues or want to air out some things, the one thing that I find to be THE solution is to simply allow yourself to be patient. There are some things that I know that I simply cannot have at this time. I could, however, do many things to try to obtain them and if they are healthy for me to have, then they are worth going after no matter the effort.

However, if that brass ring is toxic or not healthy for me, the cost of having it will be just way too high. The time spent on chasing this foolish object/person could have been spent on far more rewarding things/people and, IN THE END, made one happier in the exchange.


To borrow a Star Trek reference (now, you knew I would not go too long without interjecting one, did you? ), I am reminded of the time when Spock was bethrothed to a woman who did not want him because his career would prevent him from being with her. She preferred another Vulcan (Ston) who did want her and who could be there with her. She manipulated events so that Spock could not be challenged Ston, according to custom, but by James Kirk, Spock's captain. Spock was deep into "heat" and was not even aware that he was fighting Kirk.

After it appeared that Spock had killed Kirk, he turned to Ston and said these immortal words:

"Ston, she is yours. You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true." -- Spock (Amok Time)

If one were to reflect upon those words, and graft them onto their own lives, they will find that many times obtaining an object of one's desire may only lead to "buyer's remorse."

So, to think of the unreasonable as a thing that you simply must have or you "can't go on" only adds to the illogic of its obtainment. As long as one has breath, they have the means to "carry on."

I thought of this blog today as I thought back on some of the many foolish and stupid things that I have done in my life and I wonder now what was it about those things, or those people, that I simply HAD to have them? Here I am today--without them--so what was the point?

We learn many lessons along our life's road...and this is one that is certainly resonating with me today. I hope that you can see the lesson here and, if it applies to you, you can put it into clearer perspective and benefit from it.

I am no expert on many things--and I'm learning as I go. Today, I learned, or was reminded of something else:

Good money/emotions/love after bad achieves nothing...


Blessings...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home